These rebates are being offered through the Green Ontario Fund, which is funded by the province’s Cap-and-Trade Program.
The Ontario Government is offering thousands of dollars in rebates for home owners who choose energy-efficient renovations including windows and insulation.
The New Rebates are:
- Up to $5000 to replace windows that meet specific requirements
- Up to $7200 off new insulation, and a $100 rebate for air sealing
- Up to $20,000 for Energy Star-certified ground source heat pumps, or up to $4500 to repair existing heat pumps
- Up to $5800 off Energy Star-certified air source heat pumps, or pumps that meet program requirements
- Homeowners and tenants could also be eligible for a $100 smart thermostat rebate
In order to access the rebates, homeowners will have to work with a contractor that has been screened and qualified under the program and listed at GreenON.ca
Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, Chris Ballard says the program “will make it easy and more affordable” for homeowners to make environmentally-friendly choices for their home improvements.
“If you have a cold second floor or extension that just never warms up, the the Green Ontario Fund is there to help,” says Ballard.
He adds, “Many of our homes in Ontario are under-insulated. The older your home, the more money is leaking out through heat, through cold. Money is leaking, along with greenhouse gas pollution.”
This Green Ontario Fund is part of the province’s Climate Change Action Plan, which aims to cut greenhouse gas emissions to to 15% below 1990 levels by 2020, to 37% by 2030 and to 80% by 2050.
“In Ontario, buildings generate nearly a quarter of green house gas pollution,” Ballard indicated.
The province is required to invest all of the Cap-and-Trade funds into projects that prevent or reduce greenhouse gas pollution.
In addition to these rebates, a support phone line has been created so that home owners can get advice on what projects and rebates might be best for their home.
Call to learn more about programs and get expert advice:
Toll free: 1-888-728-8444
Multilingual services available